Friday, November 14, 2008

Ye Olde Nigerian Scam

My first email this morning was from a guy in the UK wanting to rent our duplex. He saw it on Craigslist. He will have a check sent to our bank for $6950, and we will take out our move-in deposit ($1500) and send the rest to his "decorator", who will make our little 2-bedroom rental fit his discriminating taste. I can't believe people are still falling for this, but they must be or he wouldn't have tried it. The second email I opened was an artist's newsletter, where he reported the same scam, but this time the person wanted to buy a piece of expensive art. The person could barely write English. The Nigerian Scam is alive and well, apparently. If you receive such an email, go to the Internet Crime Complaint Center, at http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/default.aspx

This is my Public Service Announcement.

1 comment:

  1. Carmen, This is not a nigerian scam! I tagged you, I want the world to see your art. Go to my blog to see what it means.

    ReplyDelete