Monday, July 7, 2014

Memories of Old Florida


It's been five days since my last confession, I mean, post. I've neglected my daily painting while continuing to work on my memoir about my childhood in Central Florida. It is an illustrated memoir, inspired by artist Diana Gessler. Above I am singing, "Peg O' My Heart" in my dad's restaurant, and below, when I was a bit older, floating in Lake Marie, ignoring (and being ignored by) alligators.

I haven't forgotten my list of biggest gripes and irritants. Here is my No. 11:

People who move here to Florida then complain that the food was better in New York/New Jersey.

How can that be? Half the restaurants here are owned by people from New York/New Jersey.


3 comments:

  1. Love these illustrations, Carmen. And people from New Jersey mostly talk food. I was amazed when I used to go teach classes there that even the men had constant conversations about food. Naturally they are going to compare since it's such an important topic! (Who talks about world peace anyway!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute and so clever, Carmen! Keep it up!!!

    As a recent visitor to NYC I am sorry to say I cannot support you on your food issue. The food in NYC ROCKS!!!

    ReplyDelete