Monday, June 27, 2016

Blanketflower, 3x5 Oil Painting on Wood Panel, Daily Painting



I've been painting flowers from my garden lately, and this one is in my "Xeriscape" section. People mistakenly pronounce it "Zeroscape." I had a section of my yard that didn't get enough water, so I went to the native plant nursery (which I call the Weed Farm) and bought plants that are native to Florida. This one has done quite well. There is a house around the corner with a yard planted in nothing but native plants, and I must say, it looks like a deserted property. It is in a neighborhood with landscaped yards and the contrast is startling. It is a lesson to me not to plant things haphazardly and make it look like a weedy mess. We have our very own snake in the yard, and one is enough. It doesn't bother us, we don't bother it; however, I feel that excessive, unplanned Xeriscaping could harbor many snakes and rodents. No thank you!

Carmen

1 comment:

  1. Very pretty Carmen. I will have to look up information about that flower. I've never heard of it before. We have an area of yard that just doesn't grow a thing and I attribute that to the fact that the ground is saturated with ant tunnels and nothing can establish a root system there. I did however get a strip of wildflowers to grow this year and I agree it looks rather like a neglected area of the yard that is until the flowers bloom and now it is lovely and it keeps the dust down.
    I love your choice of the black background on this little one. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete