Friday, June 15, 2018

Mother of Exiles, Statue of Liberty, Crying, Pencil Drawing on Paper, 9x9 inches







The plaque on the wall of the Statue of Liberty reads, in part:

“Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me:
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.”

This used to be America. It didn't say, "We will snatch your children from you and store them in an old WalMart. We will return you to your abusive husband or to be killed by drug cartels. We don't even know what we will do with your children." 

My own great-grandparents would never have  come here if they thought this would happen to their family. Have we completely lost our humanity?

Carmen
 

1 comment:

  1. This is a beautiful drawing. I come across it looking for an image to go with my church's All Souls Unitarian Universalist Church FB page. Sunday, July 14, we are honored to have Dr. McPherson, one of the recognized child detention whistleblowers speak to our church. The title for the service will be, "When Lady Liberty Weeps." May I have permission to use this image on the post with your name on it? Thanks for your consideration.

    ReplyDelete