Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Guests for Dinner, 18x24

I will be painting a lot of Everglades art, since I have a treasure trove of photos now, most featuring birds and mangroves. In fact, those are mangroves in the background of this one. The Wood Stork is calmly looking over the Spoonbills feeding in Mrazek Pond. Did you know the Wood Stork puts his bill underwater and waits for his prey? Then his beak snaps shut at lightning speed, 25 milliseconds. This is known as grope-feeding (there are so many possible jokes, but I'll let them go by...)The Wood Stork has one of the fastest reflexes of any vertebrate.

1 comment:

  1. Carmen, you are such an amazing artist! Looking at your paintings makes me feel like a hack. But that's okay, I love looking at them. Don't stop. I'm so glad your arm is better.

    ReplyDelete