Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Broken Down, 5x7


This is No. 11 in my series of cell phone paintings. Big thanks to Carol Blackburn for sending me the photo from Maine, after she saw this farmer calling for help because his tractor broke down. Remember how we used to venture forth bravely, unarmed and without means of communication, sometimes even driving on long trips alone? Yes, grandchildren, I was a brave, brave woman; a veritable pioneer, facing life with nothing but change for the phone booth and a tankful of cheap gas.

I want to congratulate my friend Qiang Huang, who is leaving his day job to be a full-time painter. He says:

"In this material oriented world, we chase wealth day and night. In business, we always say “Time is Money”. However soon or later, we all will realize in our bones that “Time is better than Money”. I will enjoy my time fully, and I hope you do too."

Qiang is a wise man. 

2 comments:

  1. and you are a wise woman...do we miss those days of presumed bravery? hmmmm, your series just gets better and better....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carmen, you did a beautiful job with the bad photo I sent you. It was meant for you to paint! I love it.

    ReplyDelete