Friday, January 10, 2014

Call Me Ishmael, 20x24 Acrylic on Canvas



This morning on the news I saw that a Taiwanese man drifted in the sea for 60 hours floating on a coffin lid. This was like pulling a page from Moby Dick, where Ishmael was the lone survivor because of floating on a coffin. I changed the name of this watery-looking painting in his honor. 

This technique is new for me. It is poured acrylic that I let dry into a 'skin,' then I peeled it up, cut it apart and arranged the design. It is glued to a stretched canvas. This is a very time-consuming endeavor, but I like the result. I am drying some very light colors now to see what I can do on a dark background. 



1 comment:

  1. Hi Carmen. :) Good to see another artist enjoying acrylic skin collage. It is time-consuming, but the effects can be worth it. Here's a link to an animal painting I did in that style: cat_nip_leap_painting

    ReplyDelete