Thursday, September 2, 2010

Baby Sea Turtle, 5x7

I was trying to get good photos of crashing waves yesterday and I saw this little guy flopping his way to sea. He had just hatched and managed to survive the many predatory birds looking for a tidbit like him. Can you imagine something like this little Loggerhead, just a few inches long, growing to over 300 pounds? He is an endangered species, and still has many hazards to overcome in the ocean. I was so lucky to get to see him, and paint him! Yes, I'm one of those blankety-blank environmentalists; call me a treehugger and see if I care.


FYI, if you are local, my painting group Pieces of Eight will be at the grand opening of the Sweetie Pie Baking Co. this Friday night ("First Friday Event") on Highland Avenue in Eau Gallie. Sweetie Pie is between the Fifth Avenue Art Gallery and Eau Gallie Florist. The Pieces of Eight will be exhibiting small paintings of sweets, so please stop by.
SOLD

2 comments:

  1. How fortunate to see this little treasure! I love the blues and yellows you used in capturing this moment of the turtle makings its way out to the ocean. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this turtle.
    The blue and yellow great combo.

    ReplyDelete