Monday, July 18, 2011

Stormy Weather, 6x6

"I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and sky;"--but not in weather like this.

That is part of one of my favorite poems, Sea Fever by John Masefield, and here is the rest of the line: "...and all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." My English Lit teacher, Miss Loveless, introduced me to so much wonderful poetry, but she thought I didn't like poetry because she caught me writing parodies of the poems we read. I couldn't help myself; what can you expect a teenager to do when exposed to "She Was a Phantom of Delight?" It just begs to be parodied, doesn't it? 


My rowdy class found Robert Burns' "Ode To a Louse, On Seeing One on a Lady's Bonnet at Church" hilarious on its own merits. It began:

"Ha! whare ye gaun, ye crowlan ferlie!"


Old Robert had a sense of humor. And apparently, very good eyesight. He could spot a crawlin' ferlie from a pew away.

2 comments: