Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Pantheon, 8x10

The sight of people on cell phones in front of a building built in 126 AD is almost too much to take in. This is my entry this month in the Streetview Paintoff, in which Rome is the subject city. I chose the Pantheon because it is one of the most amazing buildings I've ever visited. It has a concrete dome with a large opening in it (an oculus), and rain does come in, but drains through a system in the floor. The artist Raphael is entombed there (and his baby angels live on, on coffee cups everywhere). How they figured out how to build something so spectacular in 126 AD is just beyond me.

6 comments:

  1. lovely composition and great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is indeed an amazing building and you captured it well. Good luck in the contest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this, Carol. It is powerful on many levels- compositionally, narratively, and as a well executed painting. Hope it wins the paint-off (I also entered, but yours is better)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job Carmen, I'm off to vote!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicely done. I have memories of sitting on those steps with my son. An amazing building. I give you my vote.

    ReplyDelete