Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Mystery Bird, 6x6 Oil on Canvas


I am not sure what this bird is, and if anyone knows, please let me know. He was hanging out in the Everglades looking so cute, I just had to paint him. I donated him to the Lagoon Fest to be held in October 2014 to benefit Oyster Restoration for the Indian River Lagoon.

I read in the paper that a large number of pelicans and manatees have died here on the Space Coast, and it's likely because of the sorry condition of our waterways. The Banana River and Indian River are polluted by runoff from pesticides and fertilizers, and this is good for no one. Our river used to be full of clammers and I never see them any more. I don't think a green lawn is the priority here. I think I should have pride in the sorry-looking lawn we're sporting these days. I'm looking at it in a whole new way.

4 comments:

  1. Don't know this cutie and I think he looks great. Good for you and your yard. We plant large bee flying zones of flowers and leave the clover all over and have a large zone of woodsy area.The mosquitos are hell and the neighbors think we are weid neighbors to have bee fly zones but we found that spraying concentrated garlic around the yard diminishes the number of skeeters and we keep some of the wildlife happy. Working on going. Think we should never drink out of a disposable bottle again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a bat house. In fact 2. Bats are a sparse commodity in the northeast these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess you were lucky to find him amongst those branches and grasses. If it's a new species you'll get to name it and since it's your painting you get to name it anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. he's a snowy egret.

    ReplyDelete