Friday, March 29, 2013

Morning Sunrise, 10x10 Oil on Canvas

Have any of you artists ever painted something, then been bothered by it every time you look at it? This is the updated version of this painting. In the first version (below) there were just too many things going in conflicting directions, which jarred me every time I saw it. I have a problem of painting what I see, and sometimes you just have to change what you see to make a painting.

I reworked the painting, toned down the vertical reflection, and made the sunrise part warmer. Our flashy sunrises in Florida can look very contrived and unreal, and caution is needed to avoid a "painting on black velvet" look. We can't help it if our sunrises are fabulous here.



1 comment:

  1. Great job Carmen. The original looked so good but the second really bumps it up. I agree with you about our sunrises and our sunsets, the colors are so beautiful they hardly look real.

    ReplyDelete